FORD GT40 1968Advert ID: 43941 To Be Auctioned
Built by the late Terry Drury, Created as an 'Homage' to #1005 and #1073.
Following on from their success at Le Mans in 1966, Ford was not short of privateer teams wanting to purchase a GT40 and amongst those customers was Terry Drury, a former Ford engineer and well-respected figure in the world of international GT and saloon car racing. During 1967, he entered his Ermine White Ford GT40 #1005 for the Monza 1000 Kilometres in April sharing with Jackie Oliver, however, head gasket failure ended their race after just three laps. The next outing was the 'BOAC International 500', a six-hour race at Brands Hatch in which Terry shared #1005, now resplendent in Purple, with Keith Holland, qualifying 28th and finishing a respectable 14th in a field that today reads like a 'Who’s Who' of international racing drivers. In August 1968, Terry once again entered the BOAC International 500 sharing with Keith Holland but this time in his new car, #1073, however, falling oil pressure resulted in a premature exit. With the car repaired, it was off to the Nurburgring 1000 Kilometres in May this time sharing with Terry Sangar and finishing 35th (6th in Class). A week later the two Terrys headed for the Spa 1000 Kilometres with #1073, qualifying an excellent 11th before a broken clutch sadly ended the day.
The GT40 had a spot-welded sheet-steel monocoque, with square-tube stiffeners linking the scuttle to the nose, and a detachable framework supporting the tail against the riveted sheet steel and duralumin structure. There were also multi-tube frameworks at either end and these monocoques were built in Coventry by Abbey Panels Ltd. The early cars featured what became known as "fuel crossover" chassis which in period would have embodied two fuel crossovers between the left and right-side sill tanks, one passing through the dash section and the second via a rubber pipe passing under the driver's legs. Considered a bit risky, even at the time, the system was later changed and no replica or continuation chassis used a 'fuel crossover'.
With close ties to Ford and always requiring spares and running consumables, Terry Drury built up a very comprehensive spare parts stock including a 'Works' 302 cubic inch, four-bolt main bearing, Gurney-Weslake Ford V8 and a ZF Le Mans gearbox. The inventory, we understand, included an Abbey Panels tub featuring the infamous fuel-cross over fabrications and it is believed that this spare monocoque was supplied to Terry after #1073 was damaged at Monza, however, the damage turned out to be less serious than initially thought and the new tub was put aside.
Fast forward some fifty years and after a lifetime in motorsport, it was decided that Terry Drury Racing would set about assembling their GT40 as an homage to #1005 and #1073 utilising the Abbey Panels monocoque, many original parts, and the period Gurney-Weslake and ZF-1 gearbox. As the project started, Silverstone Auctions were invited to the TDR premises and to view the etch-primed bare monocoque, still tight as a drum, and discuss with Terry the build specification and the plethora of original works parts that would be incorporated in the build.
A new wiring loom to the original specification was used, however, original factory connector plugs for the front and rear bodywork are used. The steering column and rack are original items together with refurbished tie-rods. The steering column flasher stalk is original, as are the Lucas switches and warning lights. Both the heated screen and the original wiper motor mechanism operate and the ventilation system on the dash features the original eye-ball air vents and dash centre windscreen vent. Another rare feature is the foot vent on the passenger side center section, designed to extract hot air from the tunnel carrying internal pipework from the front radiator and engine. The front and rear uprights are original factory Magnesium items (one rear upright has 1015 stamped on it) as are the tubular wishbones, driveshafts, hubs and rear roll bar and the original Koni double adjustable spring/damper units were rebuilt by 'TrueChoice' in the USA. The front wheels are original BRM Magnesium 15 x 9 inch but the rears are remanufactured 15 x 14 inch to the same BRM Magnesium specification with Halibrand spinners.
The original 'Works' 302 cubic inch, 4-bolt main bearing Gurney Weslake Ford V8 is complete with its original steel crank, 'Indy' rods, and works peak-top pistons with the bore size remaining at 4-inches. The rocker assembly was acquired with other miscellaneous parts from Dan Gurney's private collection and original Italian Weber 48 IDA carburetors are fitted. The build of the engine was sadly interrupted by Terry's passing but was completed by his sons, Jack and Steven and time-served TDR mechanics. A new aluminum radiator and oil cooler were fabricated to original spec and a fan ensures temperatures stay within limits. The engine oil cooler is housed in an original mount with period-correct fittings and the gearbox oil cooler is located where Terry Drury preferred, on top of the rear subframe. The fuel system features brand-new FIA-approved Premier tank bladders in each side pontoon (accompanied by their Certificates of Conformity) and both pontoons retain the original aluminum fuel tank closing panels. Fuel lines are in Aeroquip fed by the original Stewart Warner pumps, complete with a new rebuild kit. The fuel filler caps are also the original magnesium type with the, now very rare, vent valves used on the early cross-over monocoques. The car's brakes - new calipers, pads, vented disc and bells from BG Developments - are brand new but original specification and period correct. The brake lines have been run as original with copper piping routed through the monocoque in their original positions whilst some of the flexible piping is now in Aeroquip with safety in mind. The fibreglass seats were produced by the original trimmer and feature parachute material with those distinctive brass eyelets. Many original body panels had been retained by TDR over the years and we understand that the vented front section, rear body and doors with period-correct latches, were as used at Monza, Spa and Le Mans.
Although not a household name, Terry Drury played a significant part in the world of British motorsport for several decades. As well as building and racing some amazing Special Saloons whilst working for Ford, he played a significant role in Ford Advanced Vehicles helping develop the GT40. He was also responsible for the 'Supervan', a GT40-engined Ford Transit van and there was many a Transit van-driving teenager with a photograph of a sideways 450bhp Supervan on their bedroom wall. Many years later, whilst preparing a competitive Ford Falcon Sprint for the HSCC, it occurred to him that it might be fun to finally build his GT40 monocoque into a full car and recreate some of those happy days with #1005 and #1073.
This 1968 GT40 is unique, in the proper sense of the word consisting of, not only this extraordinarily faithfully-constructed monocoque but so many original parts from Terry Drury's personal collection. It has been acknowledged by one of the most respected GT40 specialists as the most accurate monocoque Ford GT40 that he has ever seen. It offers great potential as either a high-performance road car or indeed, subject to conforming with the relevant regulations, as a historic competition car eligible for a number of events and welcome everywhere, however, we feel that it's more important than that. This remarkable car shares the DNA and the essence of Terry's memorable GT40s from their heyday, of #1005 at the BOAC in 1967 thundering down to Paddock Bend surrounded by the works Ferrari P4s and 250LMs, the Chapparal and the innumerable factory Porsche 910s, and of #1073, rattled and battered for nearly seven hours around the Green Hell of the Nordschleife in 1968 finishing a creditable 6th in class.
This GT40 is part of sixties motorsport history that just happens to have arrived a little later.
THE MAY LIVE AUCTION
Silverstone Auctions are proud to be offering these exciting classic cars to the market via a live online auction on 23rd May 2020. Meaning we will have an auctioneer live which you can watch and participate with online, on the phone or via a commission bid.
Subject to Government advice in the lead up to the event we will, by prior appointment, be offering private, relaxed, one to one viewings in a central location
19 Dec 2013
Ashorne, Warks, CV35 0AA
Phone: +44 1926 691141