Ford Sierra Cosworth ‘Group A’ Rally Car
ADVERT ID: 44536
Number of Times
Ford Sierra Cosworth ‘Group A’ Rally Car – Now available after long term storage, this well documented ex-Works and ‘Group A’ car presents a fabulous opportunity to own a genuine piece of British Rally History. To be offered without reserve
Upon its debut in 1982, the Sierra’s innovative design sparked more controversy than Ford had foreseen. Recognizing the need for robust marketing efforts, Ford identified it as the ideal platform to pursue their competitive ambitions alongside Cosworth. The Sierra met the criteria well with rear-wheel drive, sleek aerodynamics despite a tendency to lift at high speeds and availability as a three-door model. Whilst enhancements like a new body kit and rear spoiler addressed the aero imbalance issue, Ford faced the daunting task of producing 5,000 units for homologation. Initial estimates from the dealer network suggested they could only sell around 1,500 units, raising concerns. However, history tells a different story. Ford ultimately sold 5,545 three-door cars, including 500 RS500 variants, while the Cosworth engine found its way into nearly 30,000 Ford Sierra Saloons (Cosworth three-door, Sapphire two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive). The Sierra Cosworth surpassed Ford’s expectations, emerging as one of the most successful Touring Car racers globally, clinching victories worldwide. In rallying, the ‘Group A’ Sierra – especially on tarmac – proved formidable against its four-wheel drive counterparts, exemplified by Didier Auriol’s outright win at the 1988 Corsica Rally.
D540 UVW was very well known, particularly in the West Midlands, where it featured on regional television on a regular basis. Brooklyn Ford were very strong marketeers and footage of this car was everywhere, particularly memorable with that distinctive wastegate ‘chatter’ and the fact that it was pink.
- Originally a Ford-owned car confirmed by documents on file. Built in 1986 and finished in Diamond White
- Then partnered with Brooklyn Ford Motorsport, who at the time were one of the most competitive rally car preparers. At this point, the car was prepared to ‘Group A’ specification for the 1987 RAC Rally and painted pink after the announcement of Mr.Tomkinson Carpets-sponsorship
- Documents in the form of V5s, registrations and letters from involved parties on file validate that the vehicle was owned by FoMoCo from new, then on to Brooklyn
- Once retired by Brooklyn, the car was sold in the early 1990s before finally being purchased by our vendor’s husband in April of 1995
- Due to its long term storage, it’s not known exactly what specification the car is currently in, however the important information confirming the car’s ID with the chassis number and registration is well documented and proven by correspondence between our vendor’s husband, the DVLA and Brooklyn Ford Motorsport
- 1987 – Made its competition debut at the RAC rally driven by Phil Collins. Sadly a broken diff lead to retirement
- 1988 – 11 rallies across the UK with some top three finishes, piloted by Phil Collins
- 1989 – Four events in the hands of Gwyndaf Evans, retired after whilst leading the Manx. Finished second at the Wydean Rally
- 1990 – Eight Events entered, this time the driver being James Cullen, the most notable was a win on the Manx (Phil Collins) by almost five minutes, after an almost 18-month break from the sport
The car remains in its ‘Mr Tompkinson Carpets’ pink livery and looks, for all the world, like its just finished its last rally but realistically, is in need of a full restoration. There is a huge history file with lots of correspondence and original photographs which will help. This was an important car in period and returning it to top form may well prove to be a very worthwhile investment.
RACE RETRO COMPETITION CAR SALE 2024
Entries are now invited our first sale of 2024 on Saturday 24th February at Race Retro, Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire. Entries close on 24th January. Race Retro brings together over 24,000 fans, drivers and enthusiasts at the start of the competition car calendar for a weekend of all things motorsport. As the shows official auction partner for the 12th year, we are now inviting entries for what promises to be a magnificent, dedicated sale of Classic and Competition Cars. Discounted tickets for the show are available using the code ICONICAUC.