LOTUS CORTINA Plus SparesAdvert ID: 42687 To Be Auctioned
LOTUS CORTINA Estimate: £30,000 - £35,000 +buyer's premium of 15% including VAT @ 20%
A 1965 1600 Twincam originally built to 90s ICS Historic Touring Car regulations
• Fully rebuilt by renowned historic preparations experts Barwell Motorsport in 2016. Only shake down mileage since
• Impressive specification and good spares package, including a spare rebuilt Twincam engine
• Eligible for a variety of events and offered at a very competitive guide price
The Lotus Cortina came into being because of Ford's decision to step up their motorsport involvement in the early 1960s. Their Head of UK Public Relations, Walter Hayes spoke to Colin Chapman, asking him to come up with a competitive saloon, using the Cortina as a base, that could be produced in sufficient numbers to satisfy the mandatory 'Group 2' homologation requirements, and with which the Blue Oval could beat all comers. The solution was to take Ford's bullet-proof 1500 Kent engine, fit it with a twin overhead-camshaft cylinder head, pop it into a stiffened Cortina shell, sort out the suspension and brakes and paint a green stripe down the side. The cars would be built by Lotus at its plant in Cheshunt and marketed through their Ford dealer network as the “Consul Cortina developed by Lotus” which was the correct title for the new car and a title that graced all the launch brochures. Once fully developed, the Lotus Cortinas (as they quickly became known) absolutely shone on track driven by household names including Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill, Jackie Ickx, Roger Clark and many, many more.
On offer here is 1965 Ford Lotus Cortina 1600 Twincam that was built to the 1990s ICS Historic Touring Car Series regs (homologation number 5018). Presented in the iconic Red/Gold Alan Mann/Ford team colours this car was extensively rebuilt (excluding external repaint) by the top historic preparation experts, Barwell Motorsport, in 2016. A dyno and shake down is all that’s been done since this extensive rebuild.
The Specification is listed below:
• Chassis/Shell – Seam-welded with modified suspension pickup points, repainted inside and engine bay
• Bodywork – Lightweight fibreglass bonnet, boot and doors.
• Lightweight Perspex side windows, door windows and rear screen.
• Full FIA Roll cage
• Period Dash/Performance Dial Cluster
• Engine fully rebuilt, inc high-spec pistons, rods, crank, high lift cams, and ported. Dyno’d at 161 BHP.(see separate build sheet for details)
• Full dry-sump lubrication system with boot mounted oil tank.
• Fabricated race-spec exhaust manifold and system.
• Alloy, boot-mounted fuel tank
• Suspension – Leda Front struts, Penske rear coil-overs.
• Brakes, twin adjustable AP master cylinders, vented front discs
• Rear axle – 5-link, LSD, with rear discs and AP calipers
• Transmission – Quaife 5- speed 'dog box'
• Clutch – AP Twin plate
• Fire Extinguisher system - Lifeline
• OMP Head restraint. Composite Race Seat, OMP 6-Point Race Harness
• Minilite 15” plus 12x Minilite 13” spares
Included with the price of the car is a fully rebuilt, FIA Lotus Twincam engine (inc. carbs), Quaife gearbox, and 12 x 13” Minilite wheel rims. We are informed this particular car is eligible for a variety of high quality events such as the CSCC Swinging Sixties Championship, Sprints, Hill climbs and 'Modified Saloons'.
Offered at a very sensible guide price, considering what’s included in this package, this is a fantastic opportunity to join well supported grids at an approachable cost.
Viewing and bidding The Silverstone Classic is a closed event and an event ticket will be required along with an auction catalogue to enter the sale. Ticket information can be found on the Silverstone Classic website.
The Silverstone Classic Auction takes place on Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th July 2019 in The Wing building at Silverstone circuit, NN12 8TN. Viewing is available from 9am on Friday 26th July.
Automobilia will start at 11am.
Cars will start at 14:00.
Viewing of the lots will be available as follows:
Friday 26th July 09:00-18:00
Saturday 27th July 09:00 - 14:00
Sunday 28th July 09:00 - 14:00
If you are planning to visit the auction or viewing please follow the signs to Silverstone Circuit and then to car park 50. From there it is a short walk to car park 49 next to the main entrance where you will be able to catch our free shuttle bus to the auction venue.
Bidding at the auction can be done either in person by attending the sale, by telephone, by leaving a commission bid or live, online via Proxibid. Click here for full details of registration requirements and a buying guide. For further information please contact Silverstone Auctions on +44 (0)1926 691 141.